Friday, February 1, 2008

A Few Rough Days

Being true to his parents nature, Jules is a night owl. Throughout the majority of my pregnancy he was up and dancing in my belly into the late hours of the night on a regular basis. He regularly woke up at 11PM to have a little baby disco while we watched The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. And now that he's out in the world he's Up Up Up until 11:30 on the dot every night. And when I say Up I mean up and happy and smiling and dancing, and well, baby crazy.

Most nights I try to get him down early, say 8 or 8:30. We do bath time, and story time, and baby massage, and nursing. Pete scoffs at me knowing his son better than I, saying "You know he's going to wake up as soon as you put him in his bed". Like clockwork, once nursed, asleep, and laid to rest in his crib, less than five minutes later he's wailing and wide awake ready for more play time.

I've finally given in. Instead of trying to an earlier bed time, we're just going to try and move him back 15 minutes or so at a time. Two nights ago we had him down at 11:15. Miracle of miracles he slept until 4:30AM. And since the books all say 5 hours in a row is sleeping through the night I can say - We had sleeping through the night! But like many other things baby, it wasn't meant to last. His nap schedule was thrown out the window and he didn't sleep more than 15 minutes at a time yesterday, he hated being away from me at all, and nursed constantly (probably making up for the deficit at night). Last night he was a bear to get down, but slept through the night until I fed him in his sleep at 4AM again. And then had his regular up every 2 hour schedule.

But you know what, it's okay. His wide awake smiles are welcomed, especially since Pete doesn't get home until 11 some nights. It means he gets daddy time before he goes to sleep, and it means we all get to spend time together as a family. I could never get to bed before 11 anyway, who am I kidding, and it's nice to have another member of the late night crew.

No comments: