Friday, October 3, 2008

Melt My Heart

I left to run some errands late this afternoon after getting Jules up from his nap.  He and Papa stayed behind and took Nico on a walk.  I returned an hour or so later, and as soon as I walked in the door Jules came racing over on all fours to greet me.  He sat at my feet while I unloaded my keys, sunglasses, shoes, and wallet, fussing and crying as if I had been gone for a million years.  The next thing I know he's reaching his arms to the sky, begging me to pick him up, and out come the sweetest word I've ever heard.  "MaMa."  Oh how it melted my heart.  I scooped him up and hugged him tight.  So far he's babbled the sounds mamama here and there, but this was his first truly deliberate usage.  I told Pete it is only a matter of time before he learns how to take advantage of this new skill, crying for me calling out Mama over and over again in an attempt to get my attention and work my heartstrings to his advantage.

It was one of those moments that make all the sleepless nights completely worth it.  Completely.

No comments: